Sunday, July 02, 2006

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Here are the Scripture references that refer to Jesus' blood, sweat and tears:

TEARS

John 11:35 - "Jesus began to weep."

Luke 19:41 - "As he [Jesus] came near and saw the city [Jerusalem], he wept over it."

SWEAT

Luke 22:44 - "In his [Jesus'] anguish he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down on the ground."

BLOOD (there are many references beside those listed)

Matthew 26:27-28 - "Drink from it [this cup], all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

John 6:54-56 - "Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them."

Hebrews 9:22 - "Under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins."

Hebrews 10:19-20 - "We have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain (that is, through his flesh)..."

When have blood, sweat or tears been lifted up by someone - and you were blessed?

When (if ever) has God called forth blood, sweat or tears from you - and a blessing was the result?


We also thought together about the "fine line" that we walk in observing appropriate allegiance to earthly kingdoms - such as our national, state, and local governments - but in keeping our primary allegiance always toward the Kingdom of God.

Although I grew up seeing the national flag frequently placed within the Christian worship space, I was surprised to learn that it is difficult to follow both flag etiquette (where the U.S. flag should always be placed in the primary place of honor) and worship protocol (where the symbols of our faith are never overshadowed). See this article by Hoyt Hickman for more thoughts on this dilemma.

This article by the late Baptist professor Henlee Barnette is also helpful.

The United Methodist Social Principles (lifted up to us for faithful study and reflection) offer guidance in how Christians relate to earthly governments.

During our hymn medley, we quoted both Romans 13:1-7 (from the translation The Message) and some of the writings of the Rev. Billy Graham - go this site and scroll down to the part that has the subtitle - Be A Good Citizen.

How do you balance your earthly commitments and your Kingdom allegiance?

Finally, here you can find some practical suggestions for Celebrating Independence Day in your home.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is slightly off-topic, but if you'll bear with me, I have a question regarding my new found understanding of our distinctive Methodist dogma. Perhaps, it's specific to Arminian ideology; I don't know. But, anyway, as a Christian we are to understand that God is omnipotent. Thus, it is a reasonable assumption that he is well aware of every fork in the road that is our lives. Furthermore, he is likely aware of the decision we will make. Now, if one were to consider this logic with respect for the understanding that God is our divine creator, a literal builder of people, both inside and out, would it not be a reasonable conclusion that God built us to lead the life we lead? Would it not be a reasonable conclusion that God fashioned us in a manner causing us to make the aforementioned decisions? In fact, would it stand to reason that if Calvinist predestination ideology is wrong, then God must be flawed in one of two ways? Either, He would lack the ability to construct perfection, or, He would lack the ability for absolute foresight. All of a sudden, I find myself rather concerned, because neither of these conclusions is very promising. To be blunt, it seems that Arminian philosophy says that a flawed God is building us risking our eternal damnation. Whereas, Calvinist ideology seems to say that God meant for certain people to burn in hell. This begs the question, is God really just a kid with an ant farm? Reassure me.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Robert Stutes said...

You have touched on some thorny issues here - widely discussed in trying to make sense of human freedom in the light of God's power. (By the way - keep in mind that "omnipotent" refers to God being all powerful - and "omniscient" refers to God being all knowing.)

For a really in-depth treatment (I couldn't begin to read it all) check out this post - http://www.cox-internet.com/triddorus/omniscience.html

What helps me the most is to avoid getting to complicated - and think in terms of relationships.

What God desires is a relationship with us - and that is something we can only speak of in human terms.

Two ways to think of this are in terms of the parent-child relationship and the romantic relationship.

Part of a parent's love is to voluntary surrender the freedom to control - to allow our child to have the freedom to make right or wrong decisions. In somewhat the same way, I see our heavenly Father doing the same - that in order for us to grow spiritually - he allows us the free will to do things which may break his heart - certainly things which he has the power to prevent.

A romantic relationship can also be used as a template for the relationship with our heavenly Father. If I am courting my sweetheart I will do everything in my power to influence her behavior, but I will also allow her freedom to respond.

If I were to kidnap her and force her to be my sweetheart, that would be a denial of a true love relationship - (though I suppose you could say I would have her where I wanted her).

To allow her to have the freedom to accept or reject me opens the door to being brokenhearted for sure, but it is the only path to a true love relationship.

The above examples are certainly flawed - as they are talking about human-human relationships - but they help me understand how God works.

Finally - with regard to the flaw in risking the relationship - we cannot understand all of this without an adequate doctrine of evil. We live in a fallen world - and there is a spirit of evil and bondage at work as well.

The Bible reminds us that our enemy is not "flesh and blood." This again can become an arena for speculation - why would God create a world that has the potential for so much evil? Ultimately, we cannot understand his activity without acknowledging the fallenness of all of creation - and his activity in overcoming the power and the effects of evil and sin.

(Some choose the route of what is called process theology - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_theology - which will solve some of your issues but create some others!)

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home